The breaking news on our screens this morning is that Fairfax are dropping 1,900 jobs, closing the printing facilities in Chullora and Tullamarine, moving their print to tabloid format and erecting a paywall for their online sites. Our producer talks about the digital future, as seen through Fairfax’s crystal ball, and how it can help you.
The dot points, for those in a rush.
- All media are adapting to digital. Fairfax is going through that painful transition.
- The future of all media wil be smaller, niche, not as big – and there needs to be acceptance of that fact.
- These changes had to happen. But workers can re-skill, or use their experience and expertise to set up their own new opportunities.
- It’s a exciting time – wild west of the web.
- Growing, understanding, will lead to, in my opinion, a more mum-and-pop approach to the entertainment and news we love and consume.
- Fairfax workers, realise you have skills and knowledge. Find people you can work with and create your own visions.
ABC News: Who will survive the digital future?